OK, so they managed to track down and remove his small intestine. But what we want to know is, “Where are the Magnets?”
This week, Safekids.org has called for the removal of Rare Earth Magnet Toys. They report that,
“Last April, a healthy 2-year-old boy from Mississippi, swallowed six magnets. Two months and six surgeries later, most of his small intestines have been removed.”
And the Magnets? Did they get those out too?
Smaller than the size of a pea, rare earth magnets are commonly marketed as a stress reliever for adults. The problem is, young kids are playing with them as well and when two or more of these powerful magnets are swallowed, they can cause serious injury to a child’s gastrointestinal system.
After learning about kids like Braylon, Safe Kids determined that taking these products off the market was the right thing to do.
Rare-earth magnets are strong permanent magnets made from alloys of rare earth elements. Developed in the 1970s and 80s, rare-earth magnets are the strongest type of permanent magnets made, producing significantly stronger magnetic fields than other types such as ferrite or alnico magnets. The magnetic field typically produced by rare-earth magnets can be in excess of 1.4 teslas, whereas ferrite or ceramic magnets typically exhibit fields of 0.5 to 1 tesla. (Wiki)
We notice that, perhaps to get them off their hands quickly, Aussie Magnets have a Clearance Sale on these 5mm little Blighter’s. So, it’s not to late for you to clamp up your Duodenum with a six pack of your own!